About The Course
If you are unable to access Youtube, the introductory video is available via XuetangX.
Curious what you will be learning about? We are releasing a series of four ‘sneak preview’ videos of the course. Follow us on Facebook, or if you cannot access Facebook, bookmark this page to be the first to watch those sneak preview videos!
“If history is our guide, we can assume that the battle between the intellect and will of the human species and the extraordinary adaptability of microbes will be never-ending.” (1)
Despite all the remarkable technological breakthroughs that we have made over the past few decades, the threat from infectious diseases has significantly accelerated. In this course, we will learn why this is the case by looking at the fundamental scientific principles underlying epidemics and the public health actions behind their prevention and control in the 21st century.
This course covers the following four topics:
- origins of novel pathogens;
- analysis of the spread of infectious diseases;
- medical and public health countermeasures to prevent and control epidemics;
- panel discussions involving leading public health experts with deep frontline experiences to share their views on risk communication, crisis management, ethics and public trust in the context of infectious disease control.
(1) Fauci AS, Touchette NA, Folkers GK. Emerging Infectious Diseases: a 10-Year Perspective from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Emerg Infect Dis 2005 Apr; 11(4):519-25.