About The Course
- Design, develop and deploy a modern web application. This course is not about how to build a pretty web page, it's about how to build and deploy the full stack of protocols and technologies associated with a complete web app. That said, it is not possible for you to become an expert in this area in a few weeks. My goal, rather, is to put you on the right path by providing a solid foundation and framework for understanding web applications, allowing you to dig deeper and learn more on your own. The next bullet points describe how we're going to do this.
- Use Ruby on Rails. We're going to learn about web apps through the Ruby on Rails framework. Rails is a framework for creating web applications that is built on top of the Ruby programming language. I believe this is one of the best frameworks for learning about web applications, and it's also proving highly successful as a platform for commercial offerings. That said, there are many other frameworks available, and the concepts you will learn using Rails are transferable to these other frameworks.
- Better understand modern software engineering practice. We’ll be using the latest tools and practices in software development, source code control, testing, and application deployment. This will include exposure to agile development practices, the numerous tools that software engineers are expected to know how to use, and the cloud-based resources that are becoming increasingly important in web applications.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will I get a Statement of Accomplishment after completing this class?
Yes. Students who successfully complete the class will receive a Statement of Accomplishment signed by the instructor.
- What resources will I need for this class?
For this course, all you need is an Internet connection, a computer onto which you can load the Ruby on Rails development environment (we'll tell you how), and the time to watch the videos and develop/debug/test web app code.
- What is the coolest thing I'll learn if I take this class?
How to build and deploy a modern web application that supports a great idea you have, or a business opportunity you've dreamed up.