About The Course
Emerging technologies are quickly gaining momentum in the field of virtual K-12 instruction. In this course we will explore how the latest trends in the use of technology affect student learning and engagement. What innovative learning spaces and tools are available to instructors? How can instructors best utilize free and open resources to more deeply engage students in their learning? What impact can the use of emerging technologies have on student retention and performance? As a class we will discuss the possibilities and challenges of using technology in fully online environments, although many of the ideas can be applied to blended and traditional environments as well. Learners will compare and contrast tools for use in K-12 virtual instruction, as well as examine best practices for implementing and managing these tools.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I receive university credit for this course?
At this time, university credit is not available for this course. However, this course is one of four courses offered through Coursera by UC Irvine focused on Virtual Teacher Education. Those students who successfully complete all four courses and earn a Verified Certificate with Distinction (available exclusively by joining Signature Track) for each course will be able to apply for a practicum course offered online through UC Irvine Extension. For more information on the UC Irvine practicum visit http://unex.uci.edu/areas/education/vt/
What resources will I need for this class?
The course is self-contained, with links to free, open resources throughout. No additional resources are needed beyond a creative spirit that is ready to explore new ways for teaching students virtually.
What is the coolest thing I'll learn if I take this class?
Whether you're new to the world of virtual education or an experienced virtual teacher, we hope this course helps you think critically about the latest tools and technologies available to you to further engage your students in the virtual classroom. We love teaching with technology so we think everything is cool!
The course is primarily for:
- Teachers working with children ages 5 - 18
- Instructors working with further education, community college or vocational students
- Continuing education or in-service facilitators supporting teachers and faculty
- Educators interested in educational technology and/or online instruction
- Please note that although this program is offered to participants from around the world, many of the examples and experiences shared will be based on the education structure and processes of the United States. Participants will be encouraged to discuss their own country-based experiences in the forums.
Recent related Education courses:
- Foundations of Teaching for Learning 5: Planning for Teaching and Learning
- Introduction to Chemistry: Structures and Solutions
- Common Core in Action: Literacy in the Content Areas- Exploring Literacy Design Collaborative Template Tasks
- Changing Weather and Climate in the Great Lakes Region
- The Art of Teaching History