About The Course
This course explores several key issues related to companies, investors, and the interaction between them in the capital markets. As an illustration of the questions we will raise (and hopefully answer) during the course, consider the following:
- What are mean returns, volatility, and beta? These essential concepts, widely used in the financial press, are the very first step in your journey into the financial world. We will discuss them in our first session, Risk and Return.
- What is a correlation? How is correlation related to diversification? Why is diversification at the heart of portfolio construction? This is a critical issue for investors and portfolio managers, and you simply cannot build a proper portfolio if you ignore them. We will discuss these and related issues in our second session, Correlation and Diversification.
- How does a company estimate the required return on its debt? And the required return on its equity? And, ultimately, its cost of capital? What is the usefulness of these concepts? We will discuss these and related issues in our third session, The CAPM and the Cost of Capital.
- Understanding the cost of capital and its components is essential, but can you put theory into practice? Can you estimate the cost of capital for a specific company? You can and we will discuss how in our fourth session, Estimating the Cost of Capital – An Application.
- How do companies separate the projects on which they should invest from those on which they should not? What are the essential tools for this task? We will discuss them, and apply them to a specific project, in our fifth session, Project Evaluation.
- How does a company assess whether it is creating or destroying shareholder value? What is the relationship between tools to measure value creation and managerial compensation? We will discuss these and related issues in our sixth and last session, Corporate Value Creation.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will I get a Statement of Accomplishment after completing this class?
Yes. Students who successfully complete the class will receive a Statement of Accomplishment signed by the instructor.
- What resources will I need for this class?
In addition to the optional readings listed, all you need for this course is an Internet connection, interest in the subject and the time to read, write, participate in the forums and complete the quizzes.