About The Course
Join us for the exciting journey to learn about GEOINT’s application in business, law enforcement, and defense. Advances in satellites, GPS, unmanned aerial systems, wireless communications, handheld computing, and the ability to automate laborious map analysis processes has transformed what used to be called geographic intelligence, or GEOINT, and the nature of the insights provided to managers and leaders. GEOINT is more than just analysts working with GIS in a secure intelligence facility. We have gone from mountains of hardcopy maps to amazing automated systems that provide previously unavailable understanding. GEOINT helps us daily with real-time apps to guide decision making. GEOINT combines geographic information science and technologies with an analytic tradecraft. In this course you will experience the value of GEOINT. You will learn how to design and execute a geospatial analysis project using GEOINT tools and tradecraft. The course is designed for the individual who wants to learn the basics of GEOINT and it is not designed for the geospatial intelligence professional. We're eager to welcome you to the Revolution.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will I get a Statement of Accomplishment after completing this class?
- Yes. Students who successfully complete the class will receive a Statement of Accomplishment signed by the instructor.
- What resources will I need for this class?
- For this course, all you need is an Internet connection and the time to watch lectures, read course content, complete lab assignments, and discuss your lab work with your peers. You do not need to buy or download any software.
- What will I learn if I take this class?
- You’ll learn how the analysis of "geospatial big data" can provide an advantage in today’s competitive world by showing where things are, how and why they got there, and what may affect that place in the future. The course will draw from the academic disciplines of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Remote Sensing and compliments the Penn State MOOC: Maps and the Geospatial Revolution.
- What future learning opportunities will this class prepare me for?
- Students who successfully complete this class will be prepared to continue their education in more advanced Geospatial Intelligence classes.
No background is required; all are welcome. If you're already a GEOINT Professional, then you will find this class a bit basic, in which case I hope you'll consider taking the online courses that we offer at Penn State.